Whenever we have a holiday it can cause issues regarding non stock items and this holiday was no different.
We were called out to a failed sliding patio door that the customers who had rented the property for the bank holiday could not lock because of an attempted break in.
We were limited as what we could do because the property was on lone and the owners could not be contacted. The brief from the agents was to just secure the property as best as possible and as cheaply as possible, recommend and quote on a final solution which would be sorted out at a later date.
The door was an old unit indeed. We discovered that the euro cylinder was ok but the obsolete FURH locking mechanism inside would not operate and unfortunately we did not have anything that would fit in its place. In order to allow the unit to close, we had to remove the keeps from the frame side but this then meant that the door could not be secured, but with no other option to allow closure this was a must.
The next stage was to decide the best way to secure the door. This was not going too be easy as due to the age of the unit, the amount of frame around the glass was minimal.
The only way that we could prevent the door being opened was to place the patio bolts onto the locking side of the door as the other side was too narrow (Pics 1-2).
The door itself would not fit correctly into the frame as shown in (Pic 3/4) and continually fell out. It also kept falling off the track. This gave us another problem to solve as the bolts only allow the prevention of the door to slide. With the view that this was late Sunday night and we were to secure the property only it was decided that we could only prevent the door from being lifted (by hand) by placing screws into the seal on the outside (Pic 6).
The other pictures show the general bad condition of the door, frame and sill. The whole job took less than 1 hour to complete and considering the condition of the unit and the restraints we were having to operate under, I think the task went fairly well.
The overall outcome will be that the unit will have to be replaced in full, but as a stop gap and to get the customers out of trouble, although it was not a pretty looking result, it worked well.