In this case, we were called to gain entry to a failed Multipoint Mechanism in a Upvc door.
We got the door open by using a method called spreading and removed the faulty item to investigate the cause. It was discovered that the internal workings had broken and jammed the whole unit.
The multipoint in question was obsolete, a common problem nowadays with this form of lock. After discussing all the options with the customer we replaced the lock with a far better upgrade.
We checked the stock that we had in the vehicle and realise we did have a suitable upgrade, however, some modifications would have to be made and part of this was to cut out new holes in both the door and the frame for the locking points and then fit new keeps onto the frame.
Unfortunately, cutting out the holes in the frame proved to be difficult as this frame had a particularly hard metal case on the inside. Fortunately, the centre case was the same size but the handles had to be changed, as the old ones would not fit the new lock. New holes had to be drilled and then the new handles were fitted.
The new locking mechanism took just under 2 hours to fit and align, after checking the operation of the lock and giving it a good clean up, you could barely see where we had worked.